Saturday, March 14, 2009

What's the reason I haven't posted? HINT: It involves Chris, Sheva, Jill, Wesker and lots of action!

So, if anyone's noticed, I haven't actually stopped by to write anything for 3 days now. First of all, nothing special has happened. I haven't talked to anyone or done anything at all aside from play my Xbox 360, talk to a few of my friends here and there and sleep. Now, you may be asking yourself what the hell I was doing if I have absolutely nothing to report about life and my feelings. Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, given the date, the title of this blog and my obsession with the series, I've been obsessing over "Resident Evil 5". So, here's the breakdown of my life for the past 3 days.

March 12, I didn't wake up until around 7PM. After I woke up, I talked to people, did a little research about the new midnight launch flyer posted by GameStop and finalized my arrangements to attend and pick up my stuff. My brother in-law and I went to GameStop and arrived just as the doors opened, which was absolutely perfect. When it was my turn in line, I asked about the limited edition strategy guide because a: I'm a fanatic of the "Resident Evil" series without a shade of doubt, b: It's sexy and c: There's only 1 print of the guide being done and 95% of them have already been sold via pre-orders. Well, to my surprise, they had 1 copy of the limited edition guide left, so I traded in 3 Xbox 360 games that I no longer care for to get it, which now leaves me with $25 in store credit, the guide and 34 remaining retail Xbox 360 games. Of course, I still have my lovely 82 Xbox Live Arcade games, too! Anyway, I already paid for the collector's edition of the game in full, so I grabbed that with my guide and we were quickly on our way out of the store. My close female cousin bought a cheap used core model Xbox 360 with a 64MB memory card just for the purpose of playing this game, so we were texting back and forth during all of this, so when we left, I called her to let her know about my guide. She was pretty jealous, but I might try to find her one as a special surprise if I can find any for normal retail price or less somewhere around here. After that, I called another one of my best friends, whom is a fellow fanatic to the same extent that I am. He and I are both absolutely fanatical about the series to the point that we know all of the lore, we do everything in every game at all costs and hell, he even dresses up as Hunk for conventions and such. Yep, we're A-grade dorks and fucking proud of it! And what, bitch?! So after that, my brother in-law stopped off somewhere to pick up some Valium from a friend. He gave me 2, which I took when I came home. They fucked me up pretty bad for about 45 minutes, but after that it didn't do anything. Either they were bad pills, a really low dose or you're supposed to take more for recreational use. I know it's bad and I usually don't do this sorta' thing, but my anxiety has been acting up a lot lately and that shit helps. Hell, my heart was racing and I almost had a full-on panic attack out of pure excitement when I got home and opened the packaging of the game and guide. I was relaxed pretty much all night, so I guess they still did their job, but I was looking to get fucked up for a change, to be completely honest. It's a very safe drug if not taken frequently and it's actually prescribed for anxiety anyway, so whatever! Of course, by now it's...

March, 2009, Friday the 13: The re-arrival of the "Resident Evil" series in the form of "Resident Evil 5" for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the USA. I didn't actually get to sit down and start playing for real until around 2AM, but I seriously played almost the entire game in a single sitting. I went to sleep around noon, which left me at the beginning of chapter 5. In total, there are 6 full chapters, with the last 2 being the longest parts of the game. Still, I effectively beat most of the game in a single sitting. Had I not taken those Valium pills, I'd of probably played it straight through, to be completely honest with you. That was the original plan, but it didn't happen. After I woke up, I sat around waiting for my body and mind to wake up completely and ate dinner. When I was awake, energetic and prepared, I turned the game on and rocked that shit straight through to the end, all while I had a few friends in my Xbox Live party, 1 of which who was also playing the game, but he had just turned it on for the first time; he's the fellow series fanatic I was referring to earlier. The other person in my party was one of the people I speak to on a constant daily basis and whenever we play games, we're in a party talking over Live. We've been friends for 10+ years and while we've never met in person, we plan on it someday and as sarcastic as the both of us can be, our bond of friendship is very tight and I doubt it'll ever be broken. Anyway, I literally played the game straight into...

March 2009, Saturday the 14th. Around 1:30AM, I officially finished the game my first time through. At first, up until I started getting into chapters 4 and 5, the game didn't seem all that great, but by the time I was done, I was in awe. This is truly a fucking amazing entry into what I consider to be the best video game series of all time. It's definitely on par with "Resident Evil 4" in many ways, although the main story mode of "Resident Evil 5" lacks some undescribable "feeling". However, there's a ton of stuff to unlock. With the new upgrade, bonus features store and special settings menus, there's a fuckload of things to work for, so there's always a goal to work towards. Oh, we can't forget the emblems and treasures, as well as the achievements! And shit, not only that, but there's a total of 4 difficulty levels, 1 of which must be unlocked by completing the "Veteran" difficulty. And if you want even more, well you're in luck! You can play the game through Sheva's point of view, plow through the updated "Mercenaries" mode, browse art galleries and if all else fails, go online for some co-op or in a month when the DLC comes out, versus/slayer mode online play will also be an option! And on that note, I have to admit that the mercenaries mode in this game is easily the best out of the entire series. I've never had more fun playing a game in this series than I have while I run around in the various stages of "Mercenaries" here in "Resident Evil 5". There's a total of 8 levels and 4 characters in Mercenaries mode, all of which also have bonus costumes that can be used as well, but they show up as different characters. There's no actual bonus for scoring high in "Mercenaries" this time, so it's less stress and more fun, but it's a personal challenge for me. I *WILL* perfect it! Just give it time! But in summary, I've been doing absolutely nothing aside from playing this game. After I finished it, I started doing other stuff, like collecting treasures, trying for some S-ranks, playing a bit of "Mercenaries"; generally digging into everything that this masterpiece has to offer. All of you haters can lick my balls. Simply put, this game IS better than "Resident Evil 4". I thought it was a bit worse at first, but it grew on me. The only things it lacks are Leon, Ada, a castle setting and the trademark shopkeeper, but hey, you can't have EVERYTHING! Besides, while Leon is a hell of a lot cooler than Chris, there's no avoiding the fact that Chris is still a badass and the partner system with Sheva totally makes up for it. The game is far more action-packed by comparison and offers a much greater challenge on harder difficulties, by far.

So, now that I've summarized how awesome the game is and explained where the fuck I've been, I guess it's time to give you a very small update. Nothing's really happened with anyone lately, but my close female cousin did seriously try to challenge me. She seriously thought that she could finish "Resident Evil 5" before me. She's playing on the easiest difficulty and has yet to beat it. She insisted that I was bluffing, but she doesn't understand a few things...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not being egomaniacal, nor am I tooting my own horn. This is just serious and legitimate shit about my life.

First of all, gaming is my life. It's my dream, my passion and everything I live for. To me, gaming isn't just a thing you do for fun; it's a lifestyle. Not only do I know everything about the industry, but I've been playing games forever, which brings me to point number two...

I've literally been playing games since I was around 3 years old. I tried at age 2, but I didn't get into them until I was a little into age 3. Mom says she was blown away at how well I played games for the age. I wasn't a champion or anything because really, I was 3 years old, ya' know? Still, I kept playing games constantly throughout my life. It was both a blessing and a curse.

WARNING: Side rant alert! Prepare yourself for a history lesson involving a bit of my childhood!

As a kid, I put games before everything. While other kids were doing homework, I was gaming. While people were playing sports, I was gaming. Hell, sometimes I would put off food for gaming, although most of the time my fatness showed it's face and pried me away from the games long enough to eat 500,000 calories per meal. This honestly led to a pretty shitty childhood. My parents didn't care enough to stop me or force me to do homework and such, so I wound up not finishing high school and I never went to or want to go to college. I learn very fast and I'm extremely intelligent, but I can't force myself to do homework or get into school habits. School life just isn't for me and while I've accepted it and can't place the blame fully on anyone other than myself, my parents are in part to blame because they never did anything to stop me. They discouraged me at every stop, never faught hard enough with the schools when kids teased me and beat me up, never forced me to stop overeating or anything else. To this day, they just don't seem to care about things. They just live a care-free life and still discourage me on a daily basis. Anyway, the point of this rant is that games ruled my life and to an extent, they still do. I broke away from that in the sense that I put friends, life, finances, etc. first in most cases, but for the "Resident Evil" series, I put my entire life on hold. That's just how it is and at least for now, that's how it's going to be. My life is getting better by the day, but I feel like there's something dark inside of me just waiting to show it's face and take over. I don't know how to explain it, but there's all sorts of bad feelings inside of me and I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I just know that I hope it's a phase and that it'll pass. I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else as a result of whatever's going on inside of me...

So anyway, the third and final point: My cousin doesn't realize that I'm serious when I say that I've finished every game in the series since it's conception on the original PlayStation during the first day the games came out. This is no joke. I just fucking love this series and I always will. This is the first one that I didn't finish in one sitting, actually, which is a bit disappointing, but I still did it within' the first full day of me personally owning the game and I only missed beating it on the release date by about an hour. As usual, I played on the normal difficulty for the first playthrough, although I did try the Veteran setting for about an hour, but it just proved to be a bit out of the comfort zone due to an excessive lack of ammo for a first play through. My cousin is playing on the Amateur difficulty setting, which is the easiest setting in the game and still hasn't finished the full game. She claims to be this crazy expert on the series and says she's fanatical about it, but I've yet to see her do any of the shit she says she's done. See, I have the achievements to prove what I've done with this game and eye witnesses to what I've done in the past. She just has memory cards filled with half-complete save files that don't back up her claims. I've called her bluff and she doesn't like it, but it's all good. Maybe she'll stop making these ludicrous claims to me from now on, at least. This reminds me of how she claimed a friend of her's had the game 2 months before it came out. There wasn't a single leaked copy of the game and it wasn't even produced in playable form until about a month ago, if that and not a single one of them was taken according to Capcom's counts, which means not one copy of the legit retail game was leaked. If it were leaked, I'd of modified my console by now just for the sake of playing the game early, as risky as that is with Xbox Live bannings happening on every day. The closest thing to an early release would be the Japanese version of the game, which was released about a week earlier. In short, her claims of seeing the game and backing up the fact that she supposedly played it 2 months before it was supposed to be out were flat out lies. I mean, I knew it at the time, but it's just getting obnoxious. She lies about stupid shit like this constantly to compensate for her boring life and you know what? I don't care how boring her life is. She's my cousin and I love her for it, just like all of my really close friends and family. I'm not going to put her down for not having crazy stories to tell me every 2 seconds. I'd rather have a bland honest conversation than a fake conversation. She needs to get over this hurdle and stop making things up. It's not even just games; it's everything and every lie she tells is just so extreme that it's obvious. Like there was one time when she told me that she took 6 pills of E, drank a bottle of Captain Morgan, did a line of coke and ate some shrooms all in the time span of about 2 hours. Now you tell me: Would you believe her? She'd of died. Anyway, I seriously hope that this challenge puts her bullshit to a rest. If you can't take the heat, don't play with fire. She got burned hard and she's still recovering, but she has to learn that she shouldn't and doesn't need to lie about things. It's getting old and I'm starting to want to avoid her because of it. I'm tired of having conversations that involve stupid stories that aren't even plausable.

Anyway, that's about all I have to report. Although there's one other thing, I guess: My Australian ex-girlfriend has been popping up from time to time and still has no idea how to handle this situation. She acts like nothing's changed, doesn't respond when I try to be serious and always responds to questions with the phrase "I dunno." I'm going to back her into a corner and make her talk soon before this gets out of hand. It's either that or I just ignore her and force her into a month or 2 without contact. I don't know just yet. Aside from her, my other ex-girlfriend hasn't really been around today and we didn't speak yesterday, so that's perhaps a good sign, depending on how things go in the long run. I don't want more than friendship from her, so if that works out, that's cool. I haven't spoken to the girl I previously liked for about a month now, so that's also very, very good news, as far as I'm concerned. I have no feelings for her anymore and I realize that she's more or less just a dirty, mindfucking whore. And last, but definitely far from least, the girl that I could potentially like has been busy, but we've talked here and there. I helped her with a bit of a computer problem the other day and we very briefly spoke sometime in the past 2 days, but I don't remember when because it's all a blur. Hopefully we get the chance to see one another soon! And on that note, my best friend isn't being a very good friend at all. She ignores most of my messages and phonecalls and goes to spend time with her boyfriend 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, she's either in school or hanging out with the girl I could potentially like. If I'm supposed to be one of her best friends, why is she doing this? I'm starting to wonder and it hurts a bit...

But that's all for now. I'm tired as shit, burnt out and my brain is fried. I need to get some real sleep before I lose my sanity. When I wake up, it's time for more "Resident Evil 5". Until next time, Steve out! Take care!

-SM

No comments:

Post a Comment